Volunteer at the Library
Interested in volunteering? Jefferson Hills Public Library is always looking for new volunteers!
Complete a paper application in-person, available at the circulation desk or fill out the online form.
Once you submit an application, you will receive a confirmation email or call from the Volunteer Coordinator to set up a brief in-person informational session.
All volunteers 18 or older must obtain Child Abuse Clearances in accordance with Acts 33/34 of the Pennsylvania Code.
Volunteers 14 to 17 years old will need a parent or guardian to sign a consent form to volunteer.
Once a volunteer opportunity is available, the Volunteer Coordinator will work with you to confirm a schedule.
We take great care in matching volunteers with a variety of opportunities that help the library and benefit the volunteer. Have a question or don’t see what you are looking for? Contact the library at 412-655-7741.
Jefferson Hills Public Library is always searching for volunteers in our community to share their time and talents to support the mission of the Library and our community. Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Jefferson Hills Public Library.
If you are interested in volunteering with the Jefferson Hills Public Library, you must:
- Complete the volunteer application.
- Meet briefly with the Volunteer Coordinator to determine if Jefferson Hills Library opportunities are a match for you.
- Secure your Child Abuse Clearances and turn them into the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Schedule your volunteer hours.
- Be reliable, dependable and prompt. Please inform the library staff/Volunteer Coordinator if you are unable to attend your shift.
- Conduct yourself in a respectful and suitable manner.
- Dress appropriately. Many tasks require bending, reaching, stooping, kneeling, etc.
- Accept direction and ask questions if unsure of proper procedure. Be willing to meet the overall demands of functions performed during a typical work day.
- Keep an accurate log of hours in the log book at Jefferson Hills Library. Verified hours are available upon request from the Volunteer Coordinator.
Shelf Management-organizing a specific area. Volunteers are essential in this area, so patrons and staff can locate materials easily. It is important to keep the collection in the correct order. Doing so gives our patrons the best chance at finding the materials they need.
Book Displays-assisting Library staff in designing and creating book displays to highlight and celebrate a variety of different topics and collection materials.
Technology-assist patrons with basic computer skills, keyboard and mouse usage, email setup, printing, locating online resources, job searches, and online applications.
Events and Programming Assistance-help library staff during special events and programming. Duties could vary from set-up to clean-up to taking care of needs during the program as needed.
Program Facilitator-do you have a talent or skill you want to share? You can help bring a program to life!
Little Free Library– Volunteers will work with program coordinator to stock the book case that houses the Jefferson Hills Little Free Library, at Jefferson Hills Hospital. This position entails placing a library sticker on the books, packing approximately 3 bags of books, transporting to Jefferson Hospital, and stocking the case on the second floor of Jefferson Hospital. Volunteers will be able to park in front of hospital and a fold up cart is available for use. This position can be performed either weekly or biweekly.
Book Sale-The Friends of the Jefferson Hills Public Library holds an annual booksale every spring. Volunteers are needed for setup, to staff the sale, and to tear down after the sale. Visit our Friends of the Library page for more information.
Fundraising-assist library staff in various fundraising activities throughout the year.